Spicy Sausage Zucchini Boats
This past weekend I spent Sunday morning strolling through the St. Paul Farmers Market. Between gazing at the breathtaking floral arrangements, the size and quality of the veggies, I couldn't help but think: "AMY how on earth has it been over 2 years since you have been to a farmers market!?"
Lets just say, I am now going to be a frequent flyer at the Farmers Market. While I was there I picked up sweet potatoes, tri-color beans, and zucchini (my favorite). On my drive home last night I was brainstorming some simple, quick, zucchini recipes that I could whip together. I hope you enjoy this Spicy Sausage Zucchini Boat recipe as much as we did!
- Turkey Sausage (16 oz)
- 1/2 fresh red pepper (diced)
- 2 large zucchini's
- 1/4 cup Scharr breadcrumbs
- Daiya (dairy free) shredded mozzarella
- 1 T Mrs. Dash Extra Spicy Seasoning Blend
- 1 teaspoon Pepper
**For those not on the FODMAP diet, also add in:**
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- Trim the ends off zucchini. Cut zucchini in half lengthwise; scoop out pulp, leaving 1/4-1/2 inch shells.
- In skillet, brown the turkey sausage and then add in zucchini pulp, chopped red pepper, and seasonings.
- Remove from heat and spoon this mixture into the zucchini shells, place on baking dish, and sprinkle with cheese, breadcrumbs, and basil.
- Bake uncovered at 425 for 30 min.
- I personally like my food extra crispy, if you are the same, broil for an additional 4-5 minutes.